Despite Canada’s notoriously chilly climate, golf is certainly alive and well in the Great White North. According to the website Top 100 Golf Courses, there are upwards of 310,000 registered golfers across the country and more than 2,300 golf courses for them to choose from. Still, winter sets in early in Canada so you might be wondering when your last opportunity to hit the links will be before the courses shut down for the season. This time varies from province to province and even from course to course, but here is a general breakdown of closing times of golf courses across the country:
- Newfoundland: There are 18 courses across the province listed in the Golf Newfoundland Labrador course directory, and while most do not list a specific closing date, there are very few still open after late October. Some close as early as the end of September, such as Glendenning Golf in St. John’s.
- PEI: Throughout Prince Edward Island, courses close anywhere from October 4 (Dundarave) to November 1 (Glen Afton).
- Nova Scotia: In Nova Scotia, the average closing date for golf courses is the end of October. For example, Digby Pines Golf Resort in Digby, NS is open until October 31.
- New Brunswick: You may find an open golf course in NB through the end of October. Hillsborough Golf Club in Hillsborough, NB holds its closing banquet around the third week in October.
- Quebec: In this province, you may find golfing available through the end of October. Arundel Golf & Country Club in Arundel, QC is open until October 30, and is a public facility.
- Ontario: Here you will find that golfing is available a bit longer than in colder climes. For example Copper Creek Golf Club in Kleinburg, ON, a public facility less than an hour outside of Toronto, is open through early December.
- Manitoba: The golfing season in Winnipeg generally runs through October, depending upon the weather. For instance Tuxedo Golf Course, a public facility in Winnipeg, is open through October “weather permitting”.
- Saskatchewan: The golf season in Saskatchewan also runs through October. Holiday Park Municipal Golf Course in Saskatoon is open until October 31.
- Alberta: Throughout Alberta, you will find that golf courses close anywhere between the third and fourth weeks in October. McCall Lake Golf Course, a public course in Calgary, closes around October 18. Some courses, however, such as Confederation Park in Calgary, close around the 25th or so.
- British Columbia: Golfers who live in – or visit – BC will be thrilled with the widespread availability of year-round golfing, including both Langara Golf Course and University Golf Club in Vancouver, as well as Morgan Creek in Surrey.
Whether you’re a local resident or a foreigner planning a Canadian golf vacation, you can rest assured that you will be able to find a location to practice your swing throughout most of the year. For even more information, you can visit Golf Canada, a comprehensive resource for course and accommodation information.